Wilderness Survival, Backpacking, Adventuring, AND MORE!
Companion Scouts is an experiential program for Youth to learn Wilderness Survival and Awareness, Natural History, Folk Skills, Self Awareness, and is NOT for the faint-hearted.
Our mission is to build intimate connection to the natural world and guide youth in self discovery while adventuring in the wilds and taking the risks necessary to encourage growth and push edges while being aware.
Companion Scouts are led by our trauma-informed professional Wilderness Guides and Mentors who are trained Wilderness Rite of Passage Facilitators and Wilderness First Responders with decades of backcountry survival experience. Our Mentors are skilled to help youth navigate the transitions of adolescence while teaching valuable life experience and guiding wilderness adventures. The Companion Scout program is more than a program to learn outdoor and old-school life skills, but also a place to build lasting bonds of friendship, soulful understanding of self, and strength of character.
Companion Scouts are the next level from our Adventure Scout program in WildWise School, but welcomes able students who were not Adventure Scouts.
Some of the skills Companion Scouts may learn:
- Wilderness Awareness & Survival
- First-Aid and CPR, Base Camp Construction, Camp Cooking, Emergency Escape, Equipment and Tool Care, Backpacking and Hiking, Primitive Fire, Stealth, Orienteering, Foraging, Edible Plant Identification, Emergency Shelter & Preparedness, Hunting and Trapping, Field Dressing, Fishing, Winter Camping, Beach Camping, Ropes and Knots, Water Travel, Axemanship, Archery, Feral Senses, Track and Sign, Health and Physical Fitness, and general Bad-assery.
- Natural History
- Plant Identification and Understanding of Edible and Medicinal Uses, Mycology, Ecosystems, Bird Language, Environmental Sciences
- Folk Skills & Lore
- Multi-Cultural Lore, Fiber Arts, Basket Weaving, Harvest & Preservation, Medicinal Plants, Flint Napping, Potions, Blacksmithing, Candle Making
- Cultural Awareness
- Council Fire, Ancestral Skills, Conflict Resolution,
- Historical Martial Arts & Skills
- Basic Swordsmanship & Archery, Unit Cohesion, Defensive Arts, Marching & Drill, Blacksmithing, Ethics, Code of Conduct.
- Service to Community
- Conservation, Advocacy, Stewardship, Fellowship