A Naturalist Bushcraft Adventure for the WildChild℠
WildWise NatureQuest is a homeschool enrichment program covering youth naturalist and bushcraft skills. Kids explore the forests of Kitsap County Parks and engage their skills in the wild! NatureQuest fosters a child’s intimate connection with the natural world while developing personal and social skills among peers and mentors, guiding them along their journey as a WildChild. Integrating EduLARPing through StoryQuests℠, WildWise holds space for a child’s natural sense of wonder to guide naturalist, bushcraft, and crofter skills.
In an outdoor classroom of tall trees, grassy fields, and sandy beaches, learning becomes an adventure by stimulating a child’s senses, engaging both their mind and body. Children are innately curious, and our qualified Mentors help children to trust that they are also intelligent and capable people, so that they may become responsible members of their community. We help them to push their edges and take appropriate risks in a safe and caring environment, building confidence and awareness.
We play in nature as we harvest and forage wild foods, make our own crafts, study Natural History and Life Sciences, and encourage the imagination, all the while fostering skills that last a lifetime.
At WildWise School, we believe children have inalienable rights, including:
- Knowing that they are equal, unique and valuable;
- Trusting that they are competent to explore & discover;
- Able bodied to experience appropriate risk and challenge, to explore their edges and set boundaries;
- Have instinctual drive to initiate their own learning and development;
- To experience regular success and develop processes to handle failure and disappointment in a healthy way;
- To develop positive relationships with themselves and other people;
- To know that they are a part of, and not separate from, their natural world and know they have a place within community;
- Explore and develop their weltanschauung.