Adventure Scouts is an ongoing development program for young boys and girls to learn Wilderness Survival and Awareness, Folk Skills and Lore, Swordsmanship, Performance Art and Natural History using mythical play, story and Educational Live Action Role Play (EduLARP) to make learning valuable skills exciting.
Kids learn best through engaging play and interactive challenges. Adventure Scouts will complete tasks and demonstrate skills to earn Marks of Achievement and advance in rank. Our mission is to build lasting community and intimate connection to the natural world while adventuring and questing in the wilds.
It is our goal to provide a place for young boys and girls to meet strong mentors, build lasting bonds of friendship, learn valuable life skills, connect with the wilds, and build strength of character.
Adventure Scouts are guided by our qualified Guild Masters and Mentors, and with the help of parents, volunteers, and community members, they receive encouragement to pursue their individual interests, gaining knowledge through activities and challenges. As children discover themselves and become responsible and ethical young men and women in their community through achievement and service, Adventure Scouts develop a sense of belonging, giving them confidence to face the many challenges along the path to adulthood.
Some of the skills Adventure Scouts may learn:
- Wilderness Awareness & Survival
- Basic First-Aid, Camp Building, Day Hiking, Primitive Fire, Stealth, Orienteering, Foraging, Edible Plant Identification, Emergency Shelter & Preparedness.
- Natural History
- Plant Identification, Mycology, Ecosystems, Track & Sign, Bird Calls & Allies, Environmental Sciences, Web of Life, Animal Behavior.
- Folk Skills & Lore
- Multi-Cultural Lore, Fiber Arts, Basket Weaving, Harvest & Preservation, Medicinal Plants, Flint Napping, Potions.
- Performance Arts
- Storytelling, Music, Song & Dance, Theatre, Fire Spinning, Keeping Heritage, Character Creation & Development.
- Historical Martial Arts & Skills
- Basic Swordsmanship & Archery, Unit Cohesion, Defensive Arts, Marching & Drill, Blacksmithing, Ethics, Code of Conduct.
- Service to Community
- Conservation, Advocacy, Stewardship, Fellowship, Volunteerism